Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Nitty Gritty: Part 2

On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

On to the next pre-race step: What to wear?

The weather here in beautiful North Carolina seems to be following the stock market. Temperatures have been constantly up and down. Over the last few days, I've worn various combinations of the following:

- tank top
- flip flops
- rain coat
- wool socks
- turtleneck sweater
- gloves
-running shorts
- running capris
- biking tights
- arm warmers

During this morning's run, the air temperature was in the 30s -- but by this time on Saturday morning, things are supposed to warm up significantly at the race site.

Soooo....what clothing will I be bringing with me? In short, pretty much every piece of training clothing I own.

On Friday, I will check-in my bike, along with my swim-to-bike and bike-to-run gear bags. What I ultimately wear will be a game-day decision, but here's what I'm thinking:

Wear to swim and put in gear back at swim start:
- fleece
- warm hat
- socks
- old running shoes

During swim:
- tri suit top and bottom
- sports bra
- sleeveless long john wetsuit (Cold arms = motivation to swim fast!)
And if it's cold....
- silicon cap under my race-issued cap if it's cold

Pack in swim-to-bike bag:
- bike shoes with toe covers attached
- aero helmet
- biking bolero
- sunglasses
- socks
And if it's cold.....
- beanie to wear under helmet
- gloves
- tights (I'll just pull running tights up over my damp tri shorts)
- dry jersey (I'll change in transition if it's really cold)

Pack in bike-to-run bag:
- running shoes
- race belt
- running hat
- run nutrition
And if it's cold...
- keep bolero and gloves on

Put in family's car:
- dry clothes to change into at finish line!

Shoo!! Am I forgetting anything? By the time I actually get to the start line, I'll be so ready to just turn my brain off and GO!