Monday, June 2, 2008

Event Report: Gears & Cheers

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." - Annie Dillard


Here in Tri to End Homelessness world, I've been living the good life for the past week: Super, peak workouts where I have that "this is gonna be a good one" feeling as soon as I start and can really see all of my Spring training coming together; an intense, but successful period of work during which I'm doing the part of my job I love the most; and enough time at home to get a few life maintenance items checked off my list. What more does a gal need?

This past weekend, the good life continued as I participated in Gears & Cheers - a group ride and winery tour hosted by the Grove Winery & Vineyards. The 40 mile route took us through beautiful parts of Guilford and Rockingham counties, including a stop at the Chinquapin Plantation.
I started the ride with my coach, her husband, and few other friends, and was then briefly on my own when the 40-mile group separated from the other riders. However, I love the camaraderie among cyclists and quickly joined a new group of folks who were going about my speed. Our group worked together in a paceline formation and I particularly concentrated on working the hills in preparation for my upcoming race. The company, the rest stop support, and the weather could not have been better!
I finished the route in just over 2 hours and 20 minutes with an average speed of ~17 mph -- and quickly made my way to the lunch and wine tasting tents! The good life, indeed.