Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Nitty Gritty: Part 1

It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.” - John Wooden

Three short workouts done, two more to go.
Pre-race pedicure? Check!
Pre-race yoga and meditation? Check, check!
Pre-race massage? Taking place tonight!

The days are counting down and I'm getting into the nitty gritty details of race prep. As you can see from the above notes, I'm also trying to REALLY ENJOY MYSELF this week.

Next up? Making sure I have all race day nutrition elements ready to go. Given the 6-ish hours it will take me to finish, I am not leaving fuel to chance. I'll use what I've been practicing with for every long ride and long run this year.

Here's my plan:

BREAKFAST
- PB&J waffle sandwich on 2 Kashi Go-Lean waffles
- 1-2 cups of coffee with skim milk

EN ROUTE
- Rest of sandwich if not yet finished
- Water (just a bit)

BEFORE SWIM
- 1 Hammer Gel
- Sips of Water
- 1 Endurolyte

BIKE
- Start nutrition after I get settled in. 15- 20 min.
- 24 oz. Water + 4 scoops of Sustained Energy (~420 calories), aiming to get 1/3 of bottle finished per hour
- 48 oz. Plain Water (2 tall bottles)
- 1 Endurolyte per hour, carried in a plastic container in bento box.
- Also carry in bento box: 2 Hammer Gels and 1 baggie w/ 4 scoops of Sustained Energy just in case I drop my pre-made bottle.

RUN
- Hammer Gel at start and every 40-45 minutes after w/ water. Planning to carry 4 gels in my pocket and take with water at aid stations. Not going to wear my fuel belt.
- Carry 1 packet of pre-packed endurolytes in my pocket (not in the plastic container, because the sound of them jumping around irritates the you-know-what out of me!). Take 1 each hour or at the hint of a cramp.

POST RACE
- Whatever I can get down. It usually takes a while for my stomach to come around. I'll start with some HEED, but I most often crave fat and sugar ....french fries, a coke, and a milkshake might actually go down first!