Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dreaming about Rest: Workout Wrap- Up

"How can a four-day week feel so long?" - Me

It's the end of a three-week mesocycle and despite the ongoing fun, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm looking forward to the rest week that begins on Monday! While some weeks are full of reflective moments, this week was simply filled with workouts and cold weather. Here's a snapshot of what I've been up to this week (in addition to celebrating my 30th birthday, of course):

Monday: This cycle has been filled with a lot of strength-building work. Monday's morning swim included additional experimentation with swim props (but this time with much greater success!) and time on the weight floor.

Tuesday: Hill running and T-pace swimming! You know you're base building when.....

Wednesday: Since I was without a bike of my own until Wednesday evening, I beat the alarm gremlins and got up for my first spinning class in a long, long time. What fun! The evening brought a quick weights session before a lovely birthday dinner out on the town.

Thursday: Hills in the morning and the toughest swim workout I've had in a long time in the afternoon. Here's what I wrote to my coach when I finally dragged my behind out of the pool and got back home:

Ugh. The best thing I can say about this swim is that I did it. Talk about an off workout....
I forgot my watch, so I used both the swim clock and went on feel. I just didn't have it today and thought about quitting about a gazillion times. I tried to use the "box" mental strategy I read about for long distance races - i.e. The box is what I can control at any give moment. Today the box was super small, barely the length of one stroke. When my speed wasn't there, I just focused on getting through it. Tomorrow is another day....


Friday - Sunday: Brick (on the new bike!), long run, and yoga at home.