Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rest Week: A Liberal Interpretation

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time” - John Lubbock

Well, I certainly didn't get much water-listening or cloud-watching in this week, but I did workout less in order to focus on other areas of my life.

After each three-week block in my training program, I've had a step-back week during which both the prescribed volume and intensity of my training are lessened. This week, for the first time, I chose to take down even a few more notches and really, really rest. After my last base-building block, which included my most recent race, my legs, heart, and mind were really, REALLY tired at the beginning of this week. Now, after limiting my training to one hour a day and prescribing myself many hours of inspirational Olympic coverage, I woke up this morning itching to get back at it.