Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Intention: Attack the Bike

"What makes a great endurance athlete is the ability to absorb potential embarrassment, and to suffer without complaint." - Lance Armstrong, My Journey back to Life

While I certainly hope to limit the embarrassment factor and turn the potential suffering into joy, my intention for this weekend's race is to make it ALL ABOUT THE BIKE.

The Valdese Sprint Triathlon seems deceptively simple: 250 yd swim, 9 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.

The catch? The course is nestled in the North Carolina foothills and the bike leg has hills that make you question whether the fastest route to the top might actually be getting off and pushing instead of attempting to pedal at 4 mph.

Last year, this was my first race of the season, my first tri as a newly committed endurance athlete. I had so much FUN, I placed in my age group....AND I mentally checked-out on the bike.

This year, I know the course, have a new ride , improved muscular endurance (as this morning's 1:10 worth of zone 4 bike intervals tested!), and over two years of formal yoga practice under my belt. I'm stronger physically and mentally.

This year, hills be damned. I'm going for it. I'm embracing my edge. I'm saying YES, THIS IS LIVING...and I'm hoping that my legs will follow me to the run!