Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Looking for the Easy Way

Life is not meant to be easy, my child; but take courage -- it can be delightful.” - George Bernard Shaw

99.99% of my life has been easy.

I was lucky enough to be born into an incredible family. School was always a breeze (well, maybe not calculus, but I made it through). I met and married my best friend and continual playmate. I've been professionally successful.

In short, there has not been a lot of heartache and disappointment. And for that I am grateful every day.

Knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood.

But then I started dabbling in endurance sports -- and they were/ are decidedly NOT easy for me. Not easy at all. Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually? Becoming an endurance athlete continues to be TOUGH.

Saturday's race and bike workout, Sunday's exhaustion, and Monday's blahs (read: skipped both workouts on the schedule) reminded me of that.

Frankly, I'm really used to the easy way. I like the easy way. I'm good at the easy way And all this running, biking, and swimming makes me confront my life when it's not easy...and that irritates me and frustrates me and brings up all of my stuff and really makes me want to throw a tantrum.

Lovely and adult, I know.

....and then I watched yesterday's Boston Marathon and remembered that there is no easy way. Not for me, not even for elite athletes, and certainly not for the families living at Genesis Home.

Instead I have to sometimes admit when something is not easy, ask for help, listen to my body, and be patient.

Elite athletes, like the Boston women's 2nd place finisher (by a record 2 seconds!) Alevtina Biktimirova, have days when they give it their absolute all -- and it's still not enough.

And Genesis Home families have to truly take it one day at a time in order to transform their lives for good -- instead of changing them just for now.

Nope, not easy. Not gonna be. Find a way to be o.k. with it.