Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Noticing the Ebb & Flow

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.”- Bruce Barton

This week in yoga, we focused on the fourth of the niyama: svadiyaya or self-study. Our teacher (who's also my coach) led us through a practice during which she encouraged us to ONLY NOTICE - not evaluate, judge, decide, change, solve...simply notice.

It's been a great meditation for the past couple of weeks of training and life.

After a week of training modification, followed by a week of rest, I'm back to lots of two-a-day muscular endurance work -- and it's tough! Really fun, but tough. My focus this week has been on noticing my effort -- and on not evaluating my progress or my struggles. Simply notice - hmmm.... this paddle/ swim fin workout didn't feel as challenging, I'm tired, I have energy, I'm motivated, I'm lacking motivation.

Too often, it's the evaluation or judgment that lead me down an unproductive spiral -- and when the season ahead is a long one, simply noticing helps me take the long view. Taking the long view is often also a helpful strategy for the families living at Genesis Home. If they put too much stock in the ups and downs of what has previously been a roller coaster life, long-term progress seems unattainable.