Monday, October 13, 2008

Getting Specific

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.” - Lily Tomlin

It's been a while, I know.

The last month has been filled, completely. Lots of swimming, lots of biking, lots of running, lots of working, lots of traveling, lots of fundraising.

Not a whole lot of blogging.

But, now the last big build of the year is behind me. It included my longest swims ever (3,000 yards!), my longest bike rides to date (4 hours!!), some hilly long runs, and my first swim/bike/run 4+ hour brick of the year this past Saturday.

And now, here we are, with less than three weeks until the big day.

Between now and then, my training is all about specificity. As much as I can control it, my focus will be on race pace, conditions, and nutrition. My coach has also included several very detailed visualization exercises on the training plan.

By the time race day arrives, I will know that I have done everything possible to achieve my goals. Just thinking about crossing the finish line, after all of this, gives me goosebumps and forms a lump in my throat.

Like the Genesis Home families who near graduation from the Family Matters program, I've done the work, my plan is set, I have the tools I need, I know that it's ALL IN ME.

Three more weeks to dial-in to the - mostly mental, at this point - specifics.

I can't wait to get started.