Sunday, October 5, 2008

Family Matters


"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." ~Desmond Tutu

After an incredibly full week at work (read: no blog posts!) last week, my husband and I headed west on Friday afternoon for the 2nd Annual Family Camping Trip! My parents and middle sister. Her husband. His parents, brother, and brother's girlfriend. My in-laws. We even had my little sister on speakerphone at several points throughout the weekend.

On Saturday I had a three and a half hour bike ride on the training schedule. But, family matters and I didn't want to leave mine for half of the day. So instead of hitting the roads around the campground and exploring new territory, I set up my trainer beside the campfire and rode.

On the trainer.

For a very long time.

....And, it was worth it. I got my training in and spent lots of quality time with folks I don't see often enough.

Family is what makes Genesis Home 's Family Matters Program so special too. Unlike many homeless shelters, Genesis Home is designed to allow families to live together --not as individuals separated by sex or age. As a family, the folks living at Genesis Home build loving habits and bonds that hopefully will get them through the tough times that will inevitably come once they leave the shelter.

Building loving habits and bonds that see us through is certainly what this annual family camping tradition does for us.