Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Into the Unknown

“All adventures, especially into new territory, are scary” - Sally Ride

Until recently, my training this year has been very similar to all of the swimming, biking, and running that took place throughout 2007. The volume, intensity, and my body's response have pretty much been known quantities.

Until now.

On Saturday, I rode farther than I've ever gone. Watching the odometer turn from the 50s to the 60s made me sit up and notice.

Here we go, I thought.

Then, on Sunday, my coach posted a 14-hour training plan for the week.

Gulp.

We're not in Kansas anymore. Nope, we're entering half-iron territory and these last 10 weeks are going to be an adventure!

I have a map, a destination, and some great travel buddies, but I'm the only one who can make the journey. I don't know what to expect -- and there's no way to know until I do it.

What will happen when I'm out on the road for 4 solid hours this weekend? How will my body handle a long, tough run followed by a long, tough ride? Can I really swim for 55 minutes straight?

This week, I'm wondering how the families who graduate from Genesis Home feel when they first leave the shelter. What will happen when the safety net is no longer there? Can they really do it on their own? How will they react when one tough day is followed by another?

There's no way to know until they do it.