Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Planning to Peak

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."--William Faulkner

Spring is in full swing, summer is just around the corner, and my next triathlon is three weeks away! This second tri of my season will be my first A race. I'm preparing with race-specific workouts and a bit of a taper leading up to the big day.

This week begins my first peak block in training: less volume, more intensity, sprint-focused. For example, yesterday's 1900 yard swim workout was short on the yardage, but had these words written into the plan: fast, VERY fast, FASTEST 100 yet!

This post on Tri Fuel offers several recommendations on peaking for summer races -- many of which will be incorporated into my workout plans for the next few weeks. Perhaps, most importantly, I'll be spending some quality time sitting and visualizing success.