Sunday, March 23, 2008

Testing Ground

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” - Sarah Caldwell

Oh, cycling.

How much I LOVE you after I FINALLY get going.

How much I HATE you as I spend an hour and half trying to fix my bike computer, run around eating a handheld breakfast, gathering clothes and fuel and my tire pump and my route map and my cycling shoes and my shoes to drive in and my heart rate monitor and drive 20 miles to meet my sister and then get on my bike only to realize that I'm having a mechanical issue and have to call the bike shop to see if I can fix it before I head out on my longest ride yet of the year that will then be followed by a 30 minute run on a very warm early Spring day.

Shoo, I'm tired just writing about yesterday's workout.

Despite the chaos leading up to my 1:45 ride /:30 minute run, I ultimately had a very strong day, tried out some new nutrition /hydration plans, and learned a lot. Here are a few items that I'll be remembering as the season progresses:

  • My bike has screws in the back wheel bay that I can adjust to prevent the back tire from literally burning rubber. Yes, my back tire was significantly rubbing up against my bike frame. No wonder this week's trainer workouts felt so tough. Thanks for your help, Wes!
  • I'm going to add a double water bottle holder behind my saddle. The water bottle between my aero bars just isn't my thing.
  • I like the ease of liquid calories on the bike -- BUT they only work if I actually drink them.

Days like yesterday again remind me of the connections between my triathlon training and the work of Genesis Home. My Saturday long rides are effective testing grounds for races in the months ahead. I can try new strategies, make mistakes, and know that help is just a phone call away. Homeless families living at Genesis Home can do the same during the up to two years they spend at the shelter. The training they do with the support of Genesis Home staff is then put to the test when they're out on their own.