Sunday, February 3, 2008

Work-out Wrap-up: Keeping My Day Job

"I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." -Helen Keller

Ah, rest week: a time to rest my body, allow the past three weeks of training to sink in, and focus on other areas of my life. Here's what I've been up to:

Monday - In triathlon world the day included a quick and easy morning swim and yoga in the evening. Nothing like a new swim suit and cap to make last week's super-hard swim disappear! In day job world, I actually started off the week focused, with plenty of sleep, not carrying 17 bags of gear and food!

Tuesday - As my coach says, "an easy peasy run" followed by weights. In day job world, I checked all sorts of life maintenance errands off my list, got some laundry done, and actually cooked dinner for my husband for the second night in a row!

Wednesday - The morning's swim included a 400 yd swim test. T-pace is staying pretty consistent, but my perceived level of exertion seems to be going down. Probably could have pushed myself a bit more. The evening included meeting the hubby for a beer after work...something that rarely happens on a training week school night. Yay!

Thursday- My morning run included my first aerobic time trial. I kept my heartrate at the top of zone 2 and timed myself for a set distance. Over the course of the season, I should see my time drop here. After work, I did a quick set of spin-ups (designed to improve my cycling cadence and speed) on Sunny Delight while yet another (fourth in a row!) home-cooked dinner cooked in the oven. The wife of the year award surely must be right around the corner! I was in bed by 8:34. Glorious....

Friday - More cycling time in the AM, a day filled with lots of productivity in the office (love it when that to-do list gets checked off), and date night in the PM.

Saturday & Sunday - Easy 5.5 mile run in unseasonably (and very welcome) warm weather, weights, a massive house cleaning / grocery shopping / errand running / laundry folding extravaganza with Ryan, and a hike along the beautiful Eno