Sunday, January 6, 2008

Pace and Patience

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes

It’s base training time and after a beautiful winter run last week with my coach, I’ve been thinking a lot about pace. Specifically, holding back my pace during my long runs.

As coach and blogger ELF writes in a recent post, the season ahead is a long one and this is the time of year to focus on keeping efforts at the right pace. Sometimes that pace might not be the one we want to work in.

I suspect that the families living at Genesis Home feel this way at the beginning of their time in the program too. After a few weeks, they’ve gained some confidence, may have tired of the rigid household rules, and want to spread their wings a bit - moving at pace that feels comfortable, but may also be what brought them to Genesis Home in the first place.

Patience is the pace the required.