Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Building Power Equal to the Task: 2008 Goals

It is for us to pray not for tasks equal to our powers, but for powers equal to our tasks, to go forward with a great desire forever beating at the door of our hearts as we travel toward our distant goal.- Helen Keller


Well, it's official. I just received this note in my inbox:


Beach2Battleship Half - 11/1/2008: You registered on 1/2/2008

2008 is here, I'm registered for my first half-iron distance triathlon, and that means that this year's Tri to End Homelessness campaign is underway!

As both a triathlete and community advocate, I'll need your help throughout the year to reach my goals. Like last year, I'm again racing to raise awareness about homelessness and to raise funds for Genesis Home - a housing and supportive services program for homeless families in Durham, NC.

Also, like last year, my goals for 2008 are bigger than they've ever been before: (1) Raise $7,300 for Genesis Home in recognition of the 70.3 miles I'll be covering in the Beach 2 Battleship Half; (2) drop 5 minutes off of my 10K run time during an Olympic distance triathlon; (3) drop 2 minutes off of my 10 mile cycling time trial time; and finally, (4) the half: be prepared and execute my race plan.

My first triathlon of the season isn't until April, but my training is already underway and you can help end homelessness TODAY. Please consider making your first 2008 charitable donation to Genesis Home by clicking HERE and listing Tri to End Homelessness in the 'Payment For' section.

But wait, here's the most exciting part: DONATIONS WILL BE MATCHED. That's right - between now and June, all donations from new donors and all increases in donations from previous donors will be matched by a local foundation. That means that if you generously donated $50 in 2007 and choose to donate $100 in 2008, $50 dollars of your gift will be matched -- effectively increasing your impact to $150!!

And if you're a first-time Tri to End Homelessness supporter: Welcome! Through this matching challenge your $10 really means $20 toward clean sheets and a bus pass for a single mom of two staying at Genesis Home while she works and saves money for a deposit on her next apartment. Your $50 really means $100 toward GED program tuition for a young woman who has aged-out of foster care and is transitioning into adulthood. Your $250 really means $500 for the counseling and support a grandmother and her three grandchildren need to move out of homelessness and into a home of their own.

I have a year's worth of experience under my belt, a brilliant coach, big goals, and homeless neighbors who need Genesis Home's programs. Now, all I need is you.