Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rage

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

According to a story in today's local paper: A 2006 report by the National Coalition for the Homeless found 142 attacks last year against homeless people, 20 of which resulted in death -- a 65 percent increase from 2005, when 86 were violently assaulted, including 13 homicides. A majority of the attackers were young and male.

As those not living in poverty, we have a choice: We can look away. We can say they deserved it. We can say that would never be me, not in my community, doesn't relate to my life no, never.

Or, we can do something.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak outbecause I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one leftto speak out for me.
- Pastor Martin Niemöller