Monday, February 26, 2007

Resilience

"The movement you need is on your shoulders.” - Hey Jude by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

What is it that enables some people to rise beyond expectation, beyond perceived limitation, beyond external circumstances? This weekend, we got a glimpse of the resilience that we believe burns deep within each of us when we watched the extraordinary documentary: Rize

The film documents a dance movement among young people in South Central Los Angeles -- but the story is one that most of us non-elite athletes can relate to -- faith that transformation lies in the power of our own two feet. We become what we choose to become.

That resilience is our prayer for the families of Genesis Home .

Maya Angelou said it best:

Out of the huts of history's shame

I rise

Up from a past that's rooted in pain

I rise

I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,

Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear

I rise

Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear

I rise

Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,

I am the dream and the hope of the slave.

I rise

I rise

I rise.